Monday, June 2, 2008

Yoga......for better golf?

My wife recently persuaded me to join her 'yoga classes' which happened to be conducted at the condominium where we live.My idea of 'yoga' is that it is simply a form of a 'relaxation exercise' for both body and mind. I was also under the impression that it is a 'simple' and 'light' exercise.
My first session turned out to be quite a revelation. To an observer, the 'relaxation' and 'stretching' routines appear easy, but executing them is a test of how flexible your muscles and joints can be.
I never thought I would become 'breathless' doing yoga. After 30 minutes of yoga I sweated as much as when I have spent the same duration of time jogging on the threadmill. I discovered how stiff my body is and how so many of my body joints are so inflexible! I was reassured that if I persevere, I may be able to achieve some degree of flexibility in the future.
I must admit that I do enjoy the experience. At the end of the session I felt like I had had a one-hour treatment of traditional thai massage. I am by nature quite 'relaxed' , but there is no harm if I can acquire more skills at becoming 'relaxed'.
Hopefully this will help me improve my golf!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Doctor,
Since I'm not a psychologist (but you are), I will not try to get deeply into how the mind works during a game of golf -- who knows anyway? -- everybody's different But whether we call it Golf Psychology, or Sport Psychology, or The Mental Game, The Mental Side of Golf, Trying to Get into the Zone, whatever we call it, from our experience, the mental side of the game of golf really boils down to something simple:

The most important thing we can do mentally to give ourselves the best possible chance of success is to focus our attention on what we want to have happen.

Don't you agree?