Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Inter-Port Game in Singapore...


The Royal Selangor Golf Club travelled to Singapore to play the Singapore Island Country Club for the annual inter-port competition over the weekend before the Deepavali holiday.


the two-tiered driving range and the club-house

My partner and I took the Nice coach which conveniently could also now be boarded at our door-step at KL Sentral. The trip was a comfortable 5 hours and the club had us booked at the Corpthorne Orchid, Dunearn Road, where the Nice Express Singapore base was located.


my flight teed-off from hole No 8...one has to hit over water to the fairway landing


I have never played in this inter-port game before nor have I played at this course. So I was really looking forward to this game.


hole No 8 fairway.....hit from here over water again to the green..


SICC has four 18's, the Sime and Bukit Courses at the Bukit Location and the Old and New Courses at the Plantation location. The competition was played at the Bukit location.



green of hole No 10...


We had 3 games being played concurrently over the 2 days, the ' Tan Sri Hashim Ali Trophy - off the Stick Match', the 'Dato Loke Wan Tho Trophy - 4-ball better ball match play on handicap', and the ladies' 'CC Tan Leong Hoe Yang Challenge Trophy - 4 ball better ball match play on handicap' . Each club had over 70 golfers playing in the different competitions.





Dr Siew at the tee and Kevin Robinson anxiously looking on..


I partnered Kevin Robinson (HI 21.4 CH 25) in our 4-ball match play games against SICC's Mr Alan Peck ( HI 17.5 CH 20) and Dr Siew Teck Woh ( HI 21.1 CH 24). I played to a HI 24.2 and CH 28. The match-play was played at the Sime Course.



Dr Siew, pakdokter, Kevin Robinson and Mr Alan Pek..

I must admit that my game has improved lately. I returned a score of 44/49 which helped my team beat our Singapore counterparts. Kevin scored 53/52, Mr Alan Peck carded 51/47 and Dr Siew scored 50/54.


It was a pleasure meeting my fellow golfers for the first time. I have never met Kevin at the RSGC before. Kevin is the Country Manager for Newfields, an Oil and Gas company doing exploration in Malaysian waters. Alan Peck runs an aerospace company in Singapore and Dr Siew is a retired veterinary doctor who now runs the Gardenia bread company which is probably the biggest bread company both in Singapore and Malaysia.


On Sunday morning I partnered Jeff Ho Wing, a remisier at a stockbroker in KL, whom I have played with a few times at the RSGC during the club's monthly medal. Our Singapore counterparts were Dr Alex Ooi, an obstetrician/gynaecologist at the Mt Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore and Mr Joseph Tan, a retired lawyer. Jeff played to HI 18.6 CH 22, Joseph to HI 14.0 CH 14 and Alex HI 14.4 CH 17.


I played as well as the day before returning a nearly similar score of 49/45 but not good enough to beat the Singapore pair in the game. Going by my scores here and my performances in Indonesia recently, my handicap from next month should now improve to perhaps around 20 or 21.

We had a sumptous Chinese meal at lunch with free flow of beer and wine. Unfortunately our club lost out to Singapore in all the 3 team competitions.


pakdokter, Jeff Ho Wing, Dr Alex, ?..., John Tan, ...the golfer who plays with 2 clubs only i.e. the driver and Iron-1, ?....., RSGC's Lee.










No comments: