Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Birthday Stories.....selected by Haruki Murakami

Pakdokter was catching up on the business news on CNBC one evening last week , after returning from Bali for pakdokter's 58th birthday chill-out', when the programme host ( Becky?) announced that Haruki Murakami's latest book had sold 3 million copies after 2 weeks of its launch! Having read one of Murakami's book recently and coming out feeling very impressed by his style, pakdokter decided to go to the regular book-store hoping to get a copy of this new book, not even knowing what the title of the book was....
Instead pakdokter came across this collection of short stories on 'Birthdays' selected and introduced by Murakami. And what a book it was. Each story was short and simple yet left all kinds of feelings at the end of it. It is the genius of Murakami, he writes so well and he chooses equally well of other writer's works....
This book is one gift pakdokter bought for himself for pakdokter's birthday.



"Have a Good Time"
yesterday it was my birthday
I hung one more year on the line
I should be depressed
my life's a mess
but I'm having a good time.
I've been loving and loving and loving
I'm exhausted from loving so well
I should go to bed
but a voice in my head says,
"Ah, what the hell"

Paul Simon

1 comment:

pakdokter said...

Thank you for the birthday wishes. Hopefully some day we will be able to play a round of golf together.