Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Saman.....a novel by Ayu Utami

I saw this book on the shelf in my library before my recent trip to Jakarta and decided to bring it along for my reading. It was bought by my partner in 2006 during one of her business trips to Jakarta.
The book was first published in the Indonesian language in 1998 and had already sold 100,000 copies when the Australian Pamela Allen decided to translate it into English. And I must say that if its Indonesian version is as easily read as its English translation, then this is one good and interesting book as far as I am concerned.
It is the story of 'oppression' of transmigrant plantation workers in Southern Sumatra by the emerging giant oil palm plantation owners in cahoots with the local 'authorities'. Wisangeni who was a 'local' pastor became the 'champion' of the oppressed farmers who were subjected to human rights abuses. When the situation worsened leading to rapes, murders and killings, Wisangeni became a 'wanted' man on the run who escaped to New York under the name of Saman.
The story of Saman, narrated through the lives of his female 'friends', bravely explored (female) sexuality and love as well the subject of of religions, extramarital sex and politics.
Perhaps I should get a copy of the Indonesian version too.

No comments: